Safeguarding Rights Of Donors, Surrogates Or Intended Parents

Reproductive Rights For Same-Sex Parents: Surrogacy And Other Options

Same-sex couples who are determined to become parents often face barriers in the traditional adoption process. Adoption can be arduous and expensive — and it offers little guarantee of success.

Fortunately, advances in assisted reproductive technology make other options available. Surrogacy, embryo donation or in vitro fertilization may help you and your partner accomplish your dream of starting a family.

These options are not without challenges. From a legal perspective, there are many key considerations you may have to pursue, such as:

  • Negotiating and drafting a donor and/or surrogacy agreement that sets clear expectations and protects your rights as intended parents
  • Establishing your parental rights
  • Avoiding legal pitfalls that can derail the entire process

It’s important to seek legal guidance before you embark on the journey toward becoming a parent.

Experienced Representation For Clients Across California And Around The World

California is a leading state when it comes to reproductive rights law. Same-sex couples seeking a child in California will be treated equally under the law. However, you should consult with a lawyer who understands the nuances of this niche area.

I am Erin O’Kane Allen, a San Diego-based reproductive rights attorney. I am well-versed in California law regarding surrogacy and same-sex parents. You can turn to me for step-by-step guidance on the legal process for surrogacy, embryo donation or in vitro fertilization.

Even international clients seeking surrogates in California are governed by these surrogacy laws. If you are a same sex-couple living outside of California or even outside the United States, you are free to pursue your dream of building a family through surrogacy in California.

Same-Sex Couples Deserve The Same Chance To Become Parents

Are you ready to discuss your surrogacy and assisted reproduction questions? If so, contact my office at 858-391-6589 or submit an online request.